What kind of documentation is required for deductible charitable contributions (since 2007)?

In order to deduct cash contributions, regardless of the amount, you must keep one of the following:

  • A bank record that shows the name of the qualified organization and the date and amount of the contribution. Bank records include – cancelled checks, bank statements or a credit card statement.
  • Written communication in the form of a receipt, letter, etc. from the qualified organization acknowledging the date and amount of the contribution. (Note – organizations are required to provide this if they have record that you donated more than $250 in a calendar year)
  • For contributions by payroll deduction – a pay stub or W-2 from your employer showing the amount and date deducted AND a pledge card or letter that shows the organization’s name.

For further information on the rules regarding deducting charitable contributions please see IRS Publication 526.